Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fedor 2.0

I was wondering today while watching some old Pride events, is there any heavyweight that can be as successful as Fedor was back in his prime. I mean, dude was just ripping through heavyweight division. Before the Fall of Fedor started, he was 31-1, with his only losses being due to doctor stoppage. In the mean time he beat such names as Herring, Cro Cop, Nogueira, Coleman, Randleman, Hunt, Sylvia, Arlovski... Yeah maybe those names aren't such impressive right now, but men, back in the day those were all fucking warriors.

So, who can replace Fedor?

Many people said that Cain Velazquez is the new Fedor. But let's review his record, shall we? In his first UFC fight he beat Brad Morris - natural light heavyweight who fought in UFC only twice, lost both times, then got cut. Next Velazquez faced off with Jake O'Brien. Back then actually O'Brien was considered a dangerous opponent, and I think the whole Cain-hype-train thingy started after this fight, especially considering Jake's padded record (10-1 coming into Cain fight). But in my opinion, O'Brien was also hype only. He doesn't have one single decent win on his record. I guess I would say Herring, but that was at the end of Heath's career, so thats not gonna count. Who faced Cain then? The great Denis Stojnic. Yeah, thats the guy who got TKO'd by Cain, then Struve RNC'd him, and that was it for Stojnic, UFC released him from the roster. Who's next for Mr. Velazquez? Oh yes, Kongo. That win looks perfect on paper, up and coming guy defeats UFC veteran, 30-27, bla bla bla. But if you watch that fight, what you are gonna see?


Im not saying Cain have a glass jaw, its just his boxing style is not really what you call orthodox, and from that point I knew that if he is gonna face a good technical striker, he is gonna get KO'd. Then, he fought past-prime Big Nog, and yeah he knocked him out pretty fancy, but still, its not like Big Nog is some wicked technical striker, and he looked really fucking slow. Next up for Cain - Brock Lesnar. That fight proved almost nothing besides that Cains MMA wrestling > Brock MMA wrestling. We all knew coming into that fight that Cain will destroy Brock's ugly face on the feet, so that fight just proved that Cain have good wrestling. But didn't we all knew it from the beginning? And then his first title defense came up, against Junior Dos Santos. Many people say it was lucky punch, but I think those dudes are crazy. It wasn't a lucky punch, it was just pure technique from Junior.


Now he is up against Bigfoot Silva, but im gonna preview that fight in another post. So I guess that's it, at the beginning I thought that in this post I'm gonna compare HW prospects, but I guess explaining how Cain's hype-train got derailed was fun also.

My question to you: Who is gonna win, Cain or Bigfoot Silva?

No comments:

Post a Comment